Saturday, May 7, 2016

Mother's Day

I know I promised another hospitality post, but Mother's Day is tomorrow and I just have to write what is on my heart, namely, my girls. Forgive the old 110 photos scanned into this post. Oh how I wish I had my DSLR back then!

I often wonder what special memories they have from their childhood.  We can never know how others view events that we share, we all look at things through a different lens.  I can tell you this, I have nothing but good and happy memories of my children.  Much as the pain of childbirth disappears when they put that precious new life in your arms, I have no memories of my children ever having done anything wrong.  I remember disciplining them on occasion, and I know that Victoria will never let us forget how horribly we punished a minor infraction by removing her beloved books from her room! But truly in my eyes no two more perfect and lovely children have ever walked the face of this earth.


I remember rocking them and singing to them and the warm chubby little bundles of beauty they were.
I remember their smiles and how they make me laugh. Birthday parties and hugs and kisses and prayers at bedtime followed by endless repetitions of Charlotte's Web on tape as they went to sleep. They wore out 2 sets of cassette tapes of that story and never seemed to tire of it.

I remember when Lauren was in 3rd grade and Victoria in first, I had the flu, and a fever and after picking them up at the bus stop collapsing on the couch with chills. Lauren pulled a stool up to the stove and made dinner and Victoria sat near the sofa where I lay, stroked my forehead with little cool hands and read me Dr. Seuss, At some point I realized she was reading the whole book and I hadn't known she could read until then! They were capable children and I love that.

I remember camping trips up north at our favorite beach campground and first snowmen and dance recitals, and dress up tea parties with their friends. Homeschooling, field trips where they dressed up as pioneer girls, and watching Earl read them the entire Chronicles of Narnia when they were so little that one sat sucking her thumb and the other sat with her pacifier, still and rapt and enthralled by the stories unfolding and their father's beautiful voice.


Christmas baking and Christmas hayrides to cut the perfect tree.


I remember teen years and parties with friends and the laughter and joy. Graduation open houses full of family and friends.

And finally wedding dress shopping and weddings.


I could spend all day recounting the fun we had. Family vacations to Washington D.C. and Boston, and so many happy times.  Mother's Day is for celebrating mothers, I know, but for me it is a day to celebrate the incomparable joy that these two girls have brought,  and continue to bring to my life.  They are married now, and I miss them every single day. We get together as often as we can and we talk and text often.  But nothing compares to wrapping my arms around these dear children of mine and just holding them close for a while. One of the perks of them being married is that now I have sons! As a mother of girls, I find these men funny and sweet and sometimes incomprehensible. Boys are so different in so many ways and I sometimes catch a glimpse of what they must have been like growing up.  Just plain fun.  My girls chose well and my new sons fit into the family seamlessly.  I love them all.  On this Mother's day I feel blessed. I am blessed.  So I celebrate the wonderful girls who make this day so special,  Lauren and Victoria, I love you. 

9 comments:

  1. so sweet... I'll pretend your memories are mine for just a tiny bit if you don't mind... :-) Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful, Kathy! I've been reading a lot of posts, and very touching ones of ladies remembering their dear mothers. This was a nice take on what it feel to be a mother, and for you personally, the mother of two very lovely girls. The pics are wonderful, I could have looked at more. You and Earl are great parents and you have all made memories that will stay with you forever.

    Love to you on this special day. Those girls are precious (and so pretty).

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this .. you and your girls and your husband ... this is a perfect Mother's Day tribute, friend. So glad for the part of their lives we shared. They are remarkable women, just like their mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got all sentimental reading this post and looking at those little girls and the gorgeous brides they made. What a nice gift for your daughters, this Mother's Day post. You gave them a gift which I love and it was the second gift today that I saw a Mother give her child. A charming Mother I know (not mine, however) gave her daughter a huge, divine-scented bouquet of flowers from her garden. A person couldn't buy flowers that were that beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Yay! It worked. (Often, the publish button is not highlighted, which means I can't publish my comment. Similar difficulties elsewhere so perhaps it is my problem. )

      Loved this post right from the get-go seeing those two adorable daughters of yours. Very nice stroll down Memory Lane and I hope that you will soon be seeing them because every mama needs to see her kids now and again. (I just found my daughter's card unopened on the table and so I had a happy little sniffle moment. Doesn't say much for my housekeeping since Sunday, though,)

      Delete
  6. Mother's Day always brings the memories closer to my heart! I 'see' my now grown children through the eyes of a young mom all over again. Thanks for sharing your girls with us. You and I could swap stories for a long time, my friend. It's always fun to hear my kids' memories - their version of mine.
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathy, this is such a sweet post! I'm a mother of sons and can't wait for daughter in laws. My oldest son has a committed girlfriend and I already feel like she's mine..although I'm a little leary until they are married. In my mind my boys are still boys not the 20 something men that they are. I guess moms always feel that way. ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to say hello :)