Wednesday, October 21, 2015

This and That

Isn't Autumn beautiful?  It's warm but threatening rain today so I'm catching up on some indoor stuff and that includes a quick post. I sometimes wonder how I found time to post so often back when I began this little journal.  I think we all have an appreciation for how long the photography, editing and posting can take.  Sometimes I find it hard to fit in with all that is on my plate.
So while I have a moment, I'll just do a quick recap of what I've been up to lately.

1. For the past two weeks I have been helping a friend set up and price an estate sale for her late mother in law.  I strongly encourage anyone to do this because I guarantee it will give you the final push to clean out all those possessions hiding in closets, basements and drawers. Do it for yourself. Do it for your children.  I mentioned we have been at it for two weeks right? Sometimes it has been 10-12 hour days. This weekend is the sale. Needless to say, I won't be back posting until after it's done.

2. Yesterday I took the day off to go to the dentist, (blerg, there is a root canal in my very near future). and since it was a warm sunny day, and possibly the last we will have for a while, Earl and I tackled washing the windows.  In my head, before I start, I always think it won't take me long.  I am so silly.  But after washing the windows, and scrubbing the screens I am so happy to see the sparkling clean view I have to say it was well worth the effort.  I used Rain-X on the outsides of the windows hoping they will stay cleaner longer. I saw it on Pinterest, I'll let you know how it works. Of course it was also the day the ladybugs decided it would be the last warm day for a while because they were trying desperately to get in while we tackled the job. How do they know? 

3. I am working on some new designs for the etsy shop.  Loving how they are turning out. I can't wait to show you. Soon!

4. The leaves are at their peak, the garden is mostly gone due to a couple nights below 32 degrees, but my little golden marigolds are hanging strong.  I love you little golden flowers.  Unfortunately, as soon as the rain is past, I need to go out and dispose of the last hanging baskets and do some garden clean up. But the marigolds stay until the last.

5. It was another good year for apples and we made some of the best cider from our apples, our neighbors apples and an old tree we found growing wild. I have heard that the more varieties you use in your cider the better, and I have to agree with that. Best cider ever! I have some frozen for when daughter and son-in-love come to visit from PA, made some for daughter and son-in-love who live nearby and I plan to make more in the next week.  Also, today is wild crabapple jelly day.  I'm thinking a jar of that with some brie and home made bread for Pastor appreciation this month. :)

What is keeping you busy?
 

13 comments:

  1. My favorite time of year! Getting ready for Halloween and working is keeping me busy. Plus reading!
    Joy @ Books and Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful time of year. I need to have an estate sale with my mom's stuff but I've been dreading it.

    Hugs from Oklahoma,

    Valerie
    Cottage Making Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been busy. I have not been doing much of anything. I have gotten very lazy lately and I think it might be the rheumatoid arthritis I was diagnosed with a year ago. It does take a toll and so do the self injections bi-weekly. I think I need to stop feeling sorry for myself and get moving again! You have inspired me Kathy. Hugs, Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Penny, I'm butting in here. Didn't remember that you have RA. I hope you are doing ok!!

      Delete
  4. Kathy, slow down girl! No I'm just kidding...you are so sweet to help your friend with such a huge undertaking. Bet she loves you for it. I need to clean windows too. Wouldn't it be a true luxury to pay someone to do that task? Never have but some day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Just trying to hold the comment box as I lost a long comment. Love your header! Hope the Rain X works...This is a chore on the list here as well. #1 is big with me as my father's home is in the process of being closed down. This little house is so full of stuff! Ackkkk...

      Delete
  6. I know what kind of a job that is, Kathy. I did an estate once that had three buildings with packed attics. It took me six weeks. In case, you haven't done one before I wanted to tell you something I learned the hard way. Watch for people carrying shopping bags in double layers, you know, one inside of the other. I learned that sometimes people slip little valuable things in between the bags. Then, when they go through the check out, they take out everything from the top bag only. All that hard work shouldn't go to someone who may have forgot their catechism lessons! It will be a wild day and you are a good friend.
    Ginene

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fall is beautiful, and what's been keeping me busy is heading out with Minnie. I think I've been gone more than I've been home the last two months. I am in the process of weeding out because I can't take it anymore. Planning, tagging an estate sale must be long hard work get everything ready.

    ReplyDelete
  8. it was great to catch up with you and find out what you have been up to. I did an estate sale for my hubby's grandmother. OMGOSH- she never got rid of a thing- it was a nightmare....much like my place would be now to my kids, I guess. lol
    Good luck withe sale. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, Kathy girl...you HAVE been busy.
    You know, I used to go to bed at night, worrying about all the stuff we had in the attic...all the dishes I had...all the stuff Mr. Sweet had in his shop...worrying that our kids would have to deal with all that.
    When we moved we threw away, donated, gifted....and now, I feel so much better about it all. I've not missed one single thing we got rid of....
    I am hungry for Wild Crabapple Jelly...sounds devine. :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kathy, I loved your little update. Been thinking about you! :-)

    I've been Fall cleaning my house from top to bottom. And the ladybugs??? YES! How do they know??? And how do they mange to get in the house by the swarms!!!! :-)

    Love the idea of RainX on the windows. Let me know how it works!

    Hugs,

    Dori

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks so delish, love your fall pictures too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to say hello :)