Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The buffet is already earning its keep. Last night I began pulling dishes from storage and stacking them for the Thanksgiving table.  Nothing all that fancy, my new white plates, some cut glass goblets and a set of dessert plates from an antique shopping trip with Earl a few years ago. The silver tray was Earl's grandmothers so it has special meaning.  This morning I stepped into the dining room just as the morning sun hit the goblets. Beautiful.
Tonight, youngest daughter comes home for a long weekend from college. We have all been counting the hours.  This year for Thanksgiving we have some new dishes coming to the potluck and I am so excited. My niece, (one half of the blogging cousins) and nephew are bringing asparagus risotto and bruschetta, respectively. I am so happy to see them embracing our family tradition of gathering, each bringing something special and sharing the special love we have as a family. It makes the day for me:>) Sis always brings her fresh homemade rolls and finishes them here in the oven so they are hot and so good when they get to the table. Our other sis is bringing the potatoes and mom is bringing pies and salad.  Earl, of course, will make the turkey, complete with his wonderful cornbread stuffing, and the pumpkin-chocolate swirl cheesecake that is tradition around here. Oh I just can't wait!
I am wishing all of you the best Thanksgiving ever! Embrace your loved ones, eat too much, laugh, hug, count your many blessings.  That's what it's all about.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

18 comments:

  1. Pretty set-up there Kathy! I love the sound of your menu :)
    I hope y'all have a sweet gathering!
    Happy Thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love beautiful goblets. We're eating with friends this year so I won't be cooking. I hope your holiday is wonderful.
    xoxo,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving, my friend. Your goblets are beautiful, especially in the sunshine.
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your buffet is beautiful. I just read the story behind it. I LOVE to find free stuff along the road. My husband thinks I'm nuts. I've fixed up a couple things that were discarded to everyone's surprise. Have a delightful Thanksgiving. Sounds like it's going to be the best kind - - full of family and tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!! xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending very Happy Thanksgiving wishes to you and all your family that will be gathered together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband works Thanksgiving, as he does many holidays. So we're celebrating on Friday. (You see, mental patients do not remain sane for holidays. Quite the opposite, it often seems!) Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Kathy,
    Wishing you and your family a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday.

    Janet xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm, looking forward to the new additions to the menu.

    What time are we supposed to be there?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your buffet is so gorgeous! How lucky you were to find that by the side of the road! I wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving!

    xo,

    annie

    ReplyDelete
  11. It all sounds so tasty! I know you'll enjoy having everyone home. My daughter's break lasts until January!

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Thanksgiving to you too, Kathy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How wonderful to be sharing Thanksgiving with so many family members
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  14. The turkey is in the oven, so I wanted to pause and wish you a Happy Thanksgiving. I love the pot luck idea, and I know your table will be beautiful with the new dishes. Have a blessed day together with family!
    Hugs,
    Lallee

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you have all the ingredients for a lovely day!! I hope it was wonderful! Happy Thanksgiving Kathy!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kathy, as I explained to Karen, I have been so neglecful of your blogs. I really enjoy them but it seems that if I am not working I am sleeping (Or walking my head off, of course!!) so have not even read email. The buffet is beautiful. You are such a talented and artsy person. I know the dinner will be wonderful and everyone will be feeling the love. Do you like victorian stuff? Found a web site you might like. Please share my love with everyone gathered at your table, they are lucky people. Wish I could be there, but I am in spirit. LAS

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope you and yours had a wonderful and very Happy Thanksgiving!

    xo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  18. ooo, everything looks so pretty and festive.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to say hello :)