Tuesday, November 13, 2007

"What calls back the past, like the rich pumpkin pie?"

John Greenleaf Whittier
As promised I am sharing the Chocolate and pumpkin marbled cheesecake that has become a Thanksgiving tradition in our household. Our girls insist on this treat over any other dessert. You won't be surprised to know that I got this recipe out of the pages of Victoria magazine, back in one of their "vintage" issues. It is also in the pages of the Victoria cookbook called "At table with Family & Friends". This picture comes from another source but is the closest I could come to what the cheesecake looks like. it is easy to make and will feed a large group of people easily. We usually have 12-20 people at Thanksgiving and have always had plenty for everyone. The cookbook says it serves 12-16 people but you can stretch it further because it is sooo rich:>P If anyone tries it please let me know how you liked it!
Graham cracker crust
1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
2 TBSP. granulated sugar
4 TBSP melted butter
1 cup miniature chocolate pieces

Pumpkin Cheesecake
1 cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate pieces
3 (8 oz.) packages cream cheese- softened
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 16 oz. can pumpkin puree
4 eggs
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/4 cup cornstarch
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. Butter a 10 inch spring form pan. Mix together the graham cracker crumbs, 2 Tbsp. sugar and the butter. Press mixture evenly on the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle crust with 1 cup chocolate pieces.
2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees
3.To make cheesecake, melt 1 cup chocolate pieces in a small, heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly until smooth.
4. In the large bowl of an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese, 1 cup sugar, and the brown sugar at medium speed until smooth. Beat in the pumpkin puree. Beat in the eggs and evaporated milk until blended. Sift in the cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg. Beat just until mixed.
5. Stir 1 cup of the pumpkin mixture into the melted chocolate. Mix until evenly blended.
6. Pour the remaining pumpkin filling into the crust. Spoon the chocolate mixture on top of the filling in small mounds. Swirl the chocolate into the pumpkin with a knife. Place the spring form pan on a baking sheet.
7. Bake for 60 minutes, or until the edge of the filling is set. The center will jiggle. Turn off the heat and let the cheesecake stand in the oven with the door closed for 30 minutes. Remove the cheesecake to a rack and cool to room temperature, about 3 hours.
8. Cover the cheesecake and refrigerate for several hours before serving.

(Photo credit: Nestle, VeryBestBaking.com)

I am thankful for good food and good friends!

20 comments:

  1. Mmm.. pumpkin cheesecake looks divine! I think I will try the recipe sometime but our Thanksgiving is over and I'm kind of "pumpkin'd out" for now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy I must try this! thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah - I got the recipe safely tucked in my recipe file box! Thanks SO much, it looks SOO good!!! Happy Thanksgiving, God bless - Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Kathy that sounds sooooo good! I would have never thought of chocolate and pumpkin together!
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  5. KATHLEEN, I can promise that I will be making YOUR pumpkin cheesecake this year!!! I didn't make mine last year, but will do yours! Mine was just a pumpkin traditional cheesecake but was topped with a mixture of cool-whip, crushed pineapple and mini- mellows. Take care, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooooo thanks for that great recipe & happy thanksgiving!
    mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yummy. What a fabulous mouth watering cheesecake.
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious! I will have to give it a try.

    You have a lovely blog!
    Karyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my, that looks good enough to eat! And I think I will! YUM!

    xo,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks so scrumptious!! I have only ever made a homemade cheesecak once (I don't like cheese) and I know how expensive they are to make! Yours must be devoured in minutes, it looks so good...

    I loved that post about your family. You have a great looking bunch, and a lovely home!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I had one of these yummies once!
    I've been delving into the old Victorias lately :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so yummy, I can almost taste how delish it is. Thank you for the recipe, I'd like to try it. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks so yummy, I can almost taste how delish it is. Thank you for the recipe, I'd like to try it. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks so yummy!!!! We can't wait to try the recipe!

    Have a blessed day!

    smiles, kari and kijsa

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've pretty this baby out and it's going on the list of things to make next Wednesday! Thank you. Blessings... Polly

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Kathy, we are going to try to make this on Sunday afternoon, it's tempted us too much and we have given in! Jenn and Jacqui

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'll have to try this one too! I have so many new pumpkin recipes to try! It looks delish!

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, this cheesecake looks wonderful!

    My cravings started the moment I laid eyes on it!

    KJ

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to say hello :)